Success at a Mighty Glance




Some negative talk I hear around me makes me cringe. Not the chatter about politics, weather, or the economy, which have their own brand of negativity, but individuals bashing their worth.

They lament about how they don’t measure up. When I hear their thoughts aloud I wonder how this signals something in their head. Doesn’t our “Self” listen to this disapproval?


It’s NOT possible to standardized ourselves. It would mean whatever collides with us— “life itself”— can’t possibly interfere. Comparisons waste time. 


We live-that makes us worthy. Not because we have a certain face, body, job or living situation.




It is tiring (and boring) to constantly modify our lives to obsolete and invisible standards we think others have for us. When really we’re the ones designing those standards. The wheel keeps spinning and we make it spin. Every time we measure ourselves by someone else. 

Yeah, it’s true others can judge us. The real danger is when we care and take it to heart and adjust our true selves to another.


It’s ridiculous and vulgar to believe worth can be measured. Oh —- how very much we miss about who we are when we compare.


But, it continues. When we allow this list of “worth” to be important, it becomes important. If we compare ourselves to find our own worth we are stepping on that hamster’s wheel to make it go round and round. We lose sight of what we value, how we caliper ourselves.


It’s those little, every day-to-day achievements. They add up to be monumental, if only to us.


Whitefish Point, Michigan

Our worth is who and how we see ourselves in the mirror day to day. My vote is in for 

hoopla-ing over our small happys. Our small ahas. Our infinitesimal personal goals achieved. I personally think smaller stuff adds up to outstanding stuff. 


“I had coffee with my friend this morning.”

“I folded the laundry when it was still warm from the dryer.” 

“I called and asked somebody for help today.”.


Small stuff influences our lives. Successes themselves don’t even begin to tell the story of the struggle or our personal evolution in the process. Maybe our failures tell a lot more about our worth. 

 

I look at things differently about worth. I like my little, solo olympic ceremony when I grab my small gold medals and squeeze them in triumph. I’ve earned them. I appreciate I can stand there and take it all in with pride in myself.


Make those goals for yourself yours. Make them realistic and love the progress and the lessons from failures. Our jobs have enough standards for our performance. Take the ones back you can own yourself.




Then we can do the positive talk I wish I could hear…..

“I woke up this morning and took a walk in the cool air.”

“I kept my mouth shut and let my friend complain about their family.”

“I called my sister and wished her a happy birthday.”

“I finished writing my blog post!”  Thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Blue Waters

To Celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Life is a Therapist